Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The best $70 I've spent on this house so far

I never posted about this, probably because it seems so insignificant in the scheme of things. My washing machine a) was noisy as heck on the old wooden beams of the house and b) liked to take a walk every time it was used. A search online reveled only one really good sounding option, and man were they worth every penny. You can still hear both the washer and the dryer, but it no longer sounds like they're about to crash through the ceiling. The washer hasn't moved an inch since I installed these things. Plus the company is family run, they pack their product in those corn-starch-based packing peanuts that dissolve in water, and they donate some of their profits to charity. It's like Ben and Jerry's for hard rubber disks. Brilliant, and highly recommended.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Read twice, order once

Months ago I ordered a cover/grille assembly for the light/fan/heater unit in my bathroom - the original had been lost prior to me moving in. I also got the unit's install guide emailed from the manufacturer. I scanned the wiring diagrams only long enough to confirm that I'd be able to wire everything on my own, but failed to note a key point - the switch for this type of unit is more specialized than the standard 3 switch combo I then went and bought at Home Depot. So, now, as I'm finally ready to finish wiring things up, I realize I can't. I just put the order in to the manufacturer for the specific switch assembly I need, but meanwhile I'm feeling a little dumb, and a little irritated that I can't get this done as planned. Planned being a relative term of course since I'm only getting to it now.

I did at least complete the wiring from the service panel to the unit. Originally I was going to swipe an existing run that goes to an unused heater in the bathroom:

...but it was clamped into the heater unit before the room was finished off, and thus would be a bit of a pain to undo:
Instead, I reasoned that, since I wouldn't be using that heater unit, I could branch the line for the overhead unit from the same run and not have to worry about overloading the circuit:

exhibit A: the box

exhibit B: the box open, showing the line coming from
the service panel and the line going to the old heater.

exhibit don't-be-an-idiot: even if you know you flipped the breaker,
check that the line isn't hot before sticking your hand in there.

new branch tied in to all three wires

...and coming up to meet the wires running from the overhead unit.

I took too many pictures of semi pointless things here, so you'll have to take my word that I attached these two wires to each other and am now just breathlessly awaiting the delivery of the switch assembly. Maybe you'll get some more pictures of that. If you're good.

Pics of the wrong and the right switch (specialty switch needed for the job is on the right in both pics):

Monday, January 12, 2009

Quick hits

Got started on the list of things to do that will let me do things on my big list. You'll see. It'll all come together soon...

Said list today included:
- cutting two 10' 2x4s for use in the shed. Of course, these 2x4s were in the attic and I decided not to drag the circ saw an an extension cord up there...
- cut and installed 'covers' on two of the three attic 'windows' to cut down on the draft up there; it'll be a little while before I can build the custom windows for those holes, so this is better than nothing
- took ye olde hammer outside to deal with this:

Then spent a few hours helping Marion get more things shipped so he can leave town (again).

More tomorrow. You'll see...