Monday, July 7, 2008

The Big Pile of Wood and Other Things

In an effort to both clear stuff off my camera before an upcoming trip and put my various scattered pieces of knowledge about the house in one place, I'm adding a few other categories to the blog - materials and tools, and projects that haven't been started. Maybe they'll help me get a better view on what can happen.

This post, of course, doesn't really cover either. But here are three things that have happened around the house in the last few weeks:

The College is renovating part of Severance (as well as several of the dorms) and Hans and I pulled all of this lumber out of a dumpster. Some pieces have cracks and splits but there's at least a 6' run on each stick that's good, most are 8-10'+, plus two long planks of 2x10 or 2x8 (I don't remember now). It's enough lumber to almost create a floor in the old 8'x8' shed out back, except I've decided to take the shed down and get a new one. Most of the quick constructions you'll see on the blog in the coming weeks are made from these 2x4s - free lumber is a good thing.

Speaking of the shed:

This is most/all of the stuff that was pulled out of there over two days. Some salvageable lumber, some salvageable other things, and then about 20 bags of trash. The bricks on the right came from a decades old attempt to create a floor. Not visible are the 20 or so flagstones salvaged from next to the shed. Thanks to Benny and Molly and Ellen for doing most of the hauling (for pay).

And speaking of Hans:


I just had to get this shot of Hans falling asleep on my couch mid-crossword.

No comments: